et runs@vga 2d mode..+overclock

my video card is a geforce 7800gt.
i have even overclocked it from 400/1000 to 440/1060 and it still never goes over 68°C.
i have seen a really nice effect in call of duty 4 & trackmania nations forever.
BUT!
i haven't noticed anything in ET. i started to think that perharps ET runs with 2D clock settings, so i monitored my vga while i was playing yesterday. it really ran @ 2D during the whole game.
is there a way to force 3D performance for ET? if not, shall i set 2D clocks higher than what they are now?:|

PS: i am 100% sure that i could clock it even higher. to 475/1100 maybe. but it already gives me graphic anomalies higher than 440/1060. can i get rid of the geometry mistakes if i raise the fan speed or if i get better cooling for it? atm i have stock cooling.
also i tried to unlock disabled pipelines @ my gpu, unfortunately didn't work :< but oh well. at least overclocking works nicely
Comments
ET = CPU based game (quake 3 engine, which required cpu power because of lack of gpu power back in the days)

so no wonder you dont see big improvements
i know that. i tried to overclock my lovely cpu, and i couldn't even raise 150mhz, it rebooted asap! it has somekind of overclock block, might be bcoz of the low 65°C threshold. it stays around 40°C @ full load. :/
Parent
and you cant change it in the bios? the ideal cpu temperature is around 50-70 degrees, so try to get as many mhz as necessary to go as high as 70 C. from your pc i gotta say, try formatting, maybe your pc is overloaded with xxxxware and steals your cpu power, your pc is decent enough to get 125 fps stable with proper ET cfg and windows visual performance settings (AMD Athlon64 3000+ Socket 939) + running as few processes as possible

edit: also, your fps problem might be due to ventrilo sound codecs (i have 10-20 fps less with vent on on most vent servers, my usual is 76 fps stable with pentium 4 @ 2ghz and my gosu cfg, with vent on i have like 50 unstable on all maps)
Parent
"The Athlon 64 has an on-die thermal probe for accurate temperature monitoring, so when and if the processor’s die temperature exceeds a specified threshold, the processor by design stops its internal clocks heat damage."

This is exactly what happens i believe. as soon as it hits a certain temp, the computer reboots.
image: freezer_total
i am using this cooling for my cpu. do you think it ain't good enough?:<
Parent
64 processors have htt , i remember having trouble with it

lower multiplier by 1
raise fsb speed

this way you achieve higher speeds ;)
Parent
gonna check it out now.
Parent
it worked on my amd64 3500 with stock cooling
Parent
the ideal cpu temperature is: the lower the better !
Parent
AMD is really shit to overclock...get Intel
Parent
i have no money, maybe this is why i want to overclock? haha
Parent
Well, if it stays around 40° (as you said) the temp should be no problem so far.

Read tutorials about AMD-overclocking, you have to consider few more things than only the cpu-frequency like voltages, ram multipliers, hypertransport frequency and so on or you won´t get a high and stable overclock :)

This might be a point to start: http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/athlon64oc/
Parent
opteron cpus were nice to overlock
Parent
even my 6600 is superb in et, and your 7800 overclocked isnt?

image: wrong_mike
i can't get constant 125 fps... most of the time it hits 230 but sometimes it jumps to 70. i want constant 125, that is my target.
Parent
thats cpu not gfx prob.
Parent
=< time for watercooling imo :P read my comment above. what do u think about the cpu cooler?:|
Parent
lol it looks like car engine more than like cpu cooling ;D
Parent
haha ye, and you can't possibly imagine how huge the thing is :d
looks awesome, but probably doesn't cool really well. i dunno :!
the fan isn't really fast and big tbh.
Parent
or it does cool well, but if it's got loose or something?
Parent
mmm maybe... i will check that. gonna clean my pc today anyway
Parent
^^ i had something like that too but way more laggy :o it was cause of cooler
Parent
I tried all sorts of fans on my 6400+ Black Edition and in the end it was case fans that brought the temp down. When mine was hot i got fps drops now its fine. Never goes above 65 under full load before it was 75+ check your airflow in case. I bought an antec 900 :D http://www.hardwareinreview.com/images/antec/900/antec_900.jpg and this fan http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/Full/a21gj.jpg
Parent
lol that case is nice=)
i have many many fans inside my pc:
-case
-12 cm front (blow in)
-9 cm side (blow out)
-9 cm back upper (blow out)
-9 cm back lower (blow in)
-psu
-12 cm back (blow out)
-12 cm on bottom (blow in)
-cpu
-arctic cooling freezer64 (the one on the pic)
-vga
-stock crap cooling with a quite small fan probably 6cm (might gonna change that)

i think air flows nicely inside there :/ should be np....
Parent
try to get fans so they blow in front and out back. Side and top blow in also. It will make a few degrees difference. Face your arctic cooler to blow towards rear.
Parent
i dont agree, only if his pc is fucked up he should get easy 125FPS with that CPU. Try to manually overclock your GPU to overclocked settings or just let your GPU allways run on overclocked settings and try...
Parent
thought the same thing. in 2d it runs at 250 mhz... in 3d overclocked it's 440.. it is a huge difference. i will try:)
Parent
I have an AMD4000+ and a 7800GT and I have the same problem. It's probably the CPU that can't keep up, because in newer games and stuff, my gcard turns out to be fine. There's not much you can do about the CPU problem. I tried overclocking, but it doesn't really get better than from 2400 to 2540 (5%). I read articles about cranking the CPU up to 3000, but that's bullshit, because then you need to lower the RAM speed and stuff and the final result is even worse than without overclocking.
Parent
I both had 3000+ AMD athlon 64 and 4000+. with 6800 allways 125FPS also on Amd Athlon XP 2200+ 9600pro/9800pro... It isnt the cpu he can even handle 2 ET's @ 125FPS at the same time. You guys got all the good drivers aight?
Parent
what resolution did you play on? cause I have a 19" tft, playing at 1280x1024 and that won't give me a steady 125, especially not on some maps.
Parent
same res like you.
Parent
it's weird, I heard others with a worse PC doing 125 FPS steady, but that seems weird, my drivers and stuff seem fine
Parent
whats your chipset?
Parent
ASUS A8N-SLI NF4
Parent
http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/nforce_winxp_15.17_uk.html

Make sure you install SMBUS driver if you dont installed it yet.
Dont install RAID or IDE drivers from nForce because they suck.
Parent
i feel you brother
my pc gets up to 85C atm :p
but you have a completely different system, probably the "safe temperature limit" aka threshold is totally different. for mine: 65°C is the max according to many websites
Parent
i dont know what my max is, but i do know it crashs every game i play besides ET
Parent
get a better cooling. a new case could help a lot for sure
Parent
do you know how much a decent case and cooling could cost all together? :S
Parent
about 70 euros you can set up a nice system already i think (case+fans)
Parent
wow thats cheap, thx
Parent
34°C for me @ gaming :p
Parent
ouch :( do u have any advices how to solve the temp problems?
Parent
quadcore is hard to cool decently with air...
Parent
but its possible and id like to know how
Parent
the nigger above you has nice watercooling :) (even at his bong)

Airwise i would recommend something like this:
Scythe Ninja CU and a fairly case cooling flow.
Parent
true! watercooling (~70 eur0$) my cpu & waterpipe d:-D
Parent
i have a 21,3cm dick
avi or it never happened
Parent