ET Sound Delay OSS (Linux Ubuntu)

Hey guys,
Im running ET on linux ubuntu with the OpenSound System (OSS).
Pretty much everything which is working with sound (vent/ts and so) are working but ET has a delay of something like 0.5 second.
I use the most recent Ubuntu Linux and ET for Linux & OSS4.1

Thx in advance
Comments
can't help you sorry

GL finding a solution :)
maybe your sound settings are fucked up, try this settings

seta s_defaultsound "0"
seta s_distance "100.0"
seta s_doppler "0"
seta s_khz "22"
seta s_leafnum "0"
seta s_loadas8bit "1"
seta s_max_distance "99999999999999"
seta s_min_distance "0.000000000001"
seta s_mixahead "0.2"
seta s_mixPreStep "0.05"
seta s_rolloff "1.0"
seta s_volume "0.3"
seta s_wavonly "0"
seta s_compression "1.0000"
Didn't work :/
Parent
Probably it's because of the software multiplexation on a weak PC.
Parent
i have the same problem sometimes on windows... but it starts to go away after a few minutes :<... also it sometimes reappears when i switch out and back into the game ... havent found a structure behind it yet :/
Good choice using OSS4!
+1
Though, with 8.10 I had flash issues with the sound. Managed to fix it now though ;)
Parent
The problem here is clearly linux. Use XP
Well, OSS+ET = shit. That's sad :(
Parent
Wrong. ET was made to use (now deprecated) OSS system. The problem is that the ALSA OSS-emulation (required to run ET) grabs the whole sounddevice, and if it is in use by another program (artsd, pulseaudio, etc), it phails.

But, get et-sdl-sound, which wraps ET to use the proper ALSA functions, problem solved.
Parent
Ye i know, that's why i said oss+et= shit and not linux+et :p
Parent
No, OSS + ET = win, but OSS + linux = shit. That's the problem.
Parent
Well, you just play on words :p
Parent
WHY OH WHY DOES PEOPLE USE OSS?
Use ALSA and configure it properly.
plekter, I suggested fish to use OSS 4.1, it works quite well here, and doesn't require et-sdl-sound(that was the point).

Previously I've used et-sdl-sound and it works quite well too, but it does some stuff antipro doesn't like ;).

I'll probably sort it out for fish today heh.
Parent
You better do! :D
Parent
goedemorgen nerd! :D

kga straks ff windows 7 uitproberen xD
Parent
Well, you could still do it without OSS 4.1.. Installing a deprecated system makes no sense tbh. Use ALSA and snd_pcm_oss then!
Parent
The old OSS is deprecated, but the new OSS isn't.
ET should work well with OSS, but it looks like fish is having some resampling going on - which is probably causing his delay.

If you manage to get it working without using et-sdl-sound, i would love to hear it though - that includes mixing with other OSS software - which I failed without using et-sdl-sound.
Parent
would like to test OSS 4.* too, but it doenst recognize my soundcard (intel-hda stuff... -,- onboard realtek 7.1 thingie)... what advantage does (the new) OSS give over ALSA? :O
Parent
H0uD!n1 I have a similar onboard audio, it was a real PITA to setup, but it works perfectly once I configured all the right mixers controls etc.
I have High Definition Audio ALC883 (its pretty generic, but yea)

You might have something similar to be laptop, but I haven't tried OSS on there yet.

Essentially the main advantage is that oss mixing works well! Most ALSA programs have OSS support, so they can be mixed too. The quality for OSS programs is better (OSS programs to alsa is not so good).

And alsa allows OSS to be used a backend.

If you are one of the minority of musicians that use MIDI and synthesizers that are ALSA based, OSS is still getting up to scratch in that department.

Otherwise for gamers, OSS is definitely a good option (as it has turned opensource again as of 2007)
Parent
Oh man, it gets on my nerves. x.x
Did some settings today again to get alsa working with et / mumble (both natively installed). It just doesnt want to work.
I have got the ALC888 on my MSI mainboard - it's a desktop pc, not a notebook. ;>

Maybe I'll install my old creative soundblaster 5.1 in my machine, hopefully it runs "out of the box". I'm pretty tired of doing thousands of nights for some research which results in nothing. x.x

It's sort of weird that all sound programs in gnome work fine - mixing is no problem. But just ET with any other application wont do it. Mixing Audacious + VLC + Totem = 3 songs at the same time. Running ET alone plays sometimes sound (with or without et-sdl, doenst matter) - but if I try to use mumble+ET, it just gives "couldnt map /dev/dsp" in the console. Running ET first, then starting mumble, mumble says: ALSA is currently in use. o0

The guys at the german debianforum.de cant me help me on that, as nobody answers.

YesYes I'm writing to much, sorry... :DD
Parent
das wird schon fish
It was apparently a mixing problem, the mixing was taking too long to perform.
Adjusting more settings.
Still we need to find out how to make vent+et work together :D
Parent
All fixed :>