Getting to PHX

As you all most likely know, Swansea is local to pretty much no where, so here is a quick guide on traveling to the LAN centre. I hope this helps and you have a safe journey.

image: train
image: nr-logoLuckily Swansea railway station is located very close to the Crossfire LAN centre, Google estimating a 7 minute walk.
When you travel in the UK, you can find routes from two major websites, the first being National Rail, these guys are responsible for all rail travel in the UK so you can find live status' and delay news here. It may be easier and I personally find it easier using a website called TheTrainLine, here you can find routes, times and also purchase your tickets.

The most expensive rail travel in the UK are tickets that are 'open' tickets, these allow you to travel on any train, so if you want to be cautious you should purchase these (they can be purchased at the railway station). For you Europeans here, if there is a ticket office at the railway station you must buy a ticket before getting on the train, else you will commit a criminal offence, and they do check your tickets on the trains frequently in the UK.

Walking from the train station to the LAN centre

International Rail
image: es-logoYou can use the Eurostar service to travel by rail to London St. Pancras from either Paris Gare du Nord or Brussels Midi/Zuid. From here you can take the London Underground service to a National Rail station for a train to Swansea, this will be included as part of your National Rail ticket. Kings Cross does have a ticket office if you wish to purchase the rail ticket when you arrive.
The prices of the Eurostar train can vary quite a lot, so it is best to check prices out yourself at their website. The train from St. Pancras/Kings Cross is £75.00 (85.09 EUR)* Return off peak open ticket.**

image: bus
image: ne-logoThere are several coach services in the UK, the major one being National Express.
Like the train station, the coach station is also very close to the LAN centre, just an 8 minute walk. In most situations, it will be cheaper getting a train ticket to Swansea as National Express are quite costly.

Using National Express to get to Swansea is not advised due to cost and inconvenience.

Another alternative coach travel is with Megabus, these guys were pointed out to me recently and having a look, appear to be substantially cheaper than National Express and National Rail services. The issue with these, is their limitations of destinations, and most importantly, they don't go directly to Swansea.
If you wish to save money however, these are the way forward for travel in the UK, if you are arriving to Stansted or Luton airport, you can get either a bus or train link to Victoria coach station which Megabus operated from, and then when you arrive in south Wales, get a train to Swansea. This may seem like a lot of effort, but will be the cheapest option looking at the prices.

Walking from the bus station to the LAN centre

image: plane
Every major airport inside the UK will have a railway station or a free bus link to a railway station, and also will have a coach service. Once you are here, you can get to the LAN centre using either the British Rail service or National express as described above.
Most major budget airlines are based in the UK, so you can easily travel here on a low budget, the main ones being:
Ryanair
EasyJet
Wizz Air
Bmibaby

As flying directly to a close airport in Wales may be expensive, we recommend that you you travel to one of the following airports, and use the national transport system to navigate to Swansea (The Train service, or coach service as mentioned above).
  • Bristol
    Fly with : EasyJet, Ryanair
    Onwards take the coach service to Bristol Temple Meads which is included in a rail ticket price for £37.50 (42.55 EUR)* Return off peak open ticket.**
  • London Luton
    Fly with : EasyJet, Ryanair, Wizz Air
    Onwards take the free bus service to the airport train station which is included in a rail ticket price for £93.50 (106.08 EUR)* Return off peak open ticket.**
  • London Stansted
    Fly with : EasyJet, Ryanair
    Stansted airport has a railway station underneath the main terminal building you can travel to Swansea for £91.00 (103.24 EUR)* Return off peak open ticket.**
  • Birmingham
    Fly with : EasyJet, Ryanair, Bmibaby
    Birmingham airport has a 'monorail' link to Birmingham International train station, you can travel from here to Swansea for £57.70 (65.46 EUR)* Return off peak open ticket.**
  • Manchester
    Fly with : EasyJet, Ryanair, Bmibaby
    Manchester airport has a railway station between the 2 terminals (1+2), you can travel from here to Swansea for £71.30 (80.87 EUR)* Return off peak open ticket.**

As well as being to get rail travel from all of the above airports, they all have coach stations/pick up points. You should refer to National Express if you prefer to travel this way.

image: car
You can get to Swansea off of Junction 44-46 on the M5, if you're travelling from England, you will need to pay to enter Wales because of the toll crossing the Severn Bridge, this is currently £5.70 (6.47 EUR)* and you only have to pay crossing the bridge towards Wales, you will not have to pay getting back.
If you need a route made, I advise you use Google Maps if you don't own a GPS, either way, enter the following destination for Crossfire: 46 Princess Way, SA1 5HE, Wales.

If you're travelling from outside of the UK, you can get to the UK in two ways, either the ferry or alternatively take the Euro tunnel shuttle, the ferry will usually be cheaper however.
There are a lot of ferry routes to the UK, the main ones being:
Calais/Dunkerque to Dover (~270 Miles from Swansea)
Rotterdam to Harwich (~280 Miles from Swansea)
For ferry travel, you should check out Stena Line Norfolk Line and P and O Ferries
Alternatively for the Euro Tunnel shuttle, you should check out the Euro Tunnel website.

Driving laws in the UK for European drivers:
  • The first and most important note, we drive on the left side of the road, therefore you need to be confident driving like this. Please also note you will need 'headlight adaptors' so that you don't blind oncoming traffic when driving in the UK.
  • Under British legislation (Road Traffic Act 1988) you are required by law to have insurance on your car, I am unsure if this is the same through out Europe, but please ensure you drive here with insurance.
  • Driving on the motorway, the speed limit it 70 MPH unless otherwise stated (Miles, not Kilometres), you can usually identify if you're on the motorway as they tend to have road names which begin with an 'M' followed by a number, and have blue signposts.
  • If driving through a town, assume the speed limit is 30 MPH unless otherwise stated, if at any point through your journey you see a speed sign, that is priority over the national speed limit

I advise all drivers from mainland Europe to be careful in the UK, due to major differences in our traffic, please look into this more if you are unsure. The British highway code is freely available on the main government website here

Parking
There is a Tesco store locally to the Crossfire LAN centre (Supermarket chain, postal code SA1 3RA), you can park here for free, however usually they impose a 2/3 hour limit so this should not be a permanent option. It is best if you park in the hotel you are staying at and walk from there, however there are more car parks about. For a directory of car parks, check here.

*Prices calculated with the exchange rate on 11/07/2011 1 GBP = 1.13445 EUR
**Off peak tickets are only valid certain times of day, they are substantially cheaper than open any time tickets. Check on National Rail or Thetrainline to ensure the train you want is off peak. In a majority of cases they will be.

I have tried to be as accurate as possible with the information in this, if you spot any errors, or alternatives, please let me know so I can update.
If you need assistance, also post below and I, or another Brit will be able to help you.
Comments
Nice post :o
nice work indeed :)
hehe n1 post

read this nerds!
:o

Good job Marcus :D :*
rly great work marcus!
Lyon to bristol 183 € fuuu guess i will go there with a car :(
Try Limoges to Bristol on Ryanair or Marseille to Bristol on Easyjet
Parent
111€ from Marseille , somewhat okayish :) thx for helping !
Parent
lets make a team me u fifty uni and and stAriO
Parent
2 expensive for me :( cant spent 300 eu for travel only
Goin to UK is like goin to a different planet, the fuck man
It's not that different, is it? ...
Parent
IT IS!!!

no really, it's not :P
Parent
this place looks shit
Parent
QuoteSwansea
Parent
^^ Says everything of course
Parent
Ahahaha I remember walking past that place & clocking it because it was called Crossfire (yeah I know >.< ). Didn't exactly look massive inside. You go straight on down a slight hill to the main shopping bit - which has Marks & Spencers and everything ^^

Plenty pubs though.
Parent
Regarding the tesco parking... I suggest you remove that off the post of tell people it is a BAD idea. Had 2 parking tickets from parking in their car park for around 2/3 hours before and NOT shopping there :\
+1. It's not a good idea to park in that Tesco.
Parent
Paid over £100 on both tickets now! With administration fee and all that bullshit.
Parent
I did make it clear there is a limit ^^ if they need to carry stuff to the LAN centre or such, this is the closest option however
Parent
Gotcha! Make sure you go into teszco aswell! Thats what I got caught out with :(
Parent
Well tbh, that's where I will get my food for the days xD £££
Parent
People should also look at flying to Cardiff, it might be cheap for some.

I know KLM and BMI both fly into Cardiff.
Cardiff is really expensive. f.e. Amsterdam - Cardiff e400, Amsterdam - Bristol e66
Parent
Thats with KLM is it ?

Normally its not that much, around 200e or so. Still a lot more than 66e though.
Parent
Guess i'll fly to Bristol from Schiphol and from there take bus and train with National Express. Flight is 66 euro's and bus/train is around 20 pounds.
Poland (Poznan) -> UK (London Stansted) via Ryanair ~60€ (Round trip)
Train to Swansea from London = 100€ x2 = 200€
image: Sheep_eating
Journey summary
£31.00

Price for 1 Adult(s) and 0 Child(ren)
Out: 11:00 09 Sep 2011
Stansted Airport to Swansea
2 change(s)
Specified train only. No refunds.
This ticket is only valid for routes passing through both London and Reading

Return: 10:28 12 Sep 2011
Swansea to Stansted Airport
2 change(s)
Parent
QuoteTrain to Swansea from London = 100€ x2 = 200€

No, that's a return ticket, you only have to pay that once
Parent
Also, these are 'open tickets', if you want to save money, check thetrainline, and you can get 'advanced' tickets, costing me £17.80 to go to Stansted and back next month.

Getting cheap train tickets is totally possible, if you do it right ^^
Parent
Do the megabus not go from London to Swansea???

I'll prob be getting a bus down at some point anyway :>
I just took a look, and no not directly, but pretty local, and my god that's cheap o.o
Parent
Likewise for London > Cardiff if people wanted an alternate route or whatever =]
Swansea got an airport/shed too but not sure what places fly to it, and i'm guessing you'd need a 10-15 min taxi to town then.
Parent
Well looking more at it, I will update this post in a min, but you can get pretty cheap bus links from Luton and Stansted to Victoria coach station, from there they can take megabus to south Wales, I will update when looked more into it but this looks substantially cheaper than national express and the rail service.
Parent
:-)

will you be attending?
Parent
The Swansea Airport is a private airfield. You won't be able to fly directly there.

Unless you own your own plane haha and get permission to land.
Parent
hste likes his planes and prob plays microsoft flight simulator 98, i'm sure he could convince those caravan folks to land there ^_____^
Parent
Those train times are the absolute max you should pay btw, if you go at super-peak times with pre-bought tickets u can go much cheaper

For example:

image: train

However you have to get on that train at that specific time or your advanced ticket is not valid, as it says in Merls post

Also I assume from bristol/cardiff it will be even cheaper single. But you really need to pre-book if you want to travel on a budget. Not sure if you can collect tickets all the time.
Yeh I have mentioned this a couple of times too but they need to make sure they're there on time
Parent
can print some tickets off I think
Parent
yea just found out you print off a code to put into the machine once at the station :P
Parent
That's using the ticket machines -.- and also I am unsure if that will work with international cards as you need to verify it is yours with the card you made payment with
Parent
should be ok my brother always has his ticket bought for him each week.
Parent
You NEED the card if you collect using the reference ... You can check on national rail if you don't trust me :'( :D
Parent
no idea how my brother does it then :D he doesnt take the card :P will find out!
Parent
is there some information about accomodation? i got a feeling there's a travel lodge or something nearby
There is plenty of accomidation around because its Swansea City Centre :).

The IBIS hotel is in a decent location, a little outside town but that means it has parking. Can easily walk there in like 5-10 mins max from the LAN Centre.

Also many locations around town to stay, but because its going to be a FRI/SAT night it might be best to book.
Parent
check the sticky near the bottom, I listed the 3 very local hotels - travelodge is cheap indeed especially if you can get two others.
Parent
Brussels Zuid, does that mean I should come?

Nice post tho :)
Does anyone have to travel from the Birmingham area if so send me a pm don't wanna go forever alone lol
My UK travel tips (by car):

Ferry from Dunkerque <-> Dover takes longer than the ferry from Calais <-> Dover but is considerably cheaper. Weekend ferries and ferries during the day are more expensive. So if you have the option to travel at night during the week (thursday or friday night/early morning) you can get tickets for as little as 20€ (one way, norfolkline). (4am ferry with nice weather is very enjoyable, sunrise over the ocean). Eurotunnel is quick but very expensive. Also, ferries have wifi.

You can get the headlight adaptors on the ferry, just ask for it.

Driving on the left isn't that big of a deal, when you drive off the ferry and onto the motorway the whole area is built so you can't accidentally drive on the wrong side (or should i say the RIGHT side) so you have time to get used to it. all the roundabouts in the dover area are also built in a way that makes it impossible to enter them in the wrong direction.

Don't speed, south of england has more speed cameras than you can count, but usually you get warned.
Prolly even more by now
image: speedcam_ytv3w
almost 100% of the drive is motorways, but they should still feel comfortable with the positioning in the road itself.
Parent
too far away for me, also i guess drinks/foods/hotel are quite expensive there?!
Eh this isn't London, quite the opposite. Drinks and food can be extremely good value, especially from the local Tesco store
Parent
read the post maybe ;) hotel with two other people, less than €15 a night - there are local supermarkets which are very cheap as they buy their stock in mass. Hotels and Food will be cheaper than Enschede.
Parent