Crossfire Challenge

Don't get to excited with that title, but I've been messaged loads of times today about CC8 (thanks Simon Kinsler) so I figured I'd give you a wider update.

Here's the story morning glory, I will happily run another CC Lan, I actually quite want to. However the bottleneck we've got at the moment is a new venue. I cannot for the life of me find a suitable venue that can affordably house another CC event.

We need somewhere in the UK, France or Holland that can house over 100 machines, a stage, a bar, have a good internet connection, good transport links, good toilet facilities and more. You're looking all in all for something in excess of 1000 square meters.

Ignore concerns about sponsors, other games, and what countries etc - If you find me something that tick those boxes, you'll see a LAN.

Your challenge has been set.
Comments
Holland - Enschede was awesome!
my house.
UK = too far (best exampl: PHX-LAN in UK(?) & lack of participants)
phx got such a low amount of signups thanks to a LAN being held less than 2 months earlier than that :p still it had like ~7 and some teams like dignitas/anexis didn't even put their names up as signups, though they would obviously play. just proves et can't have 5 LANs a year, nobody has the money+time to play ET _THAT_ seriously :P
Parent
Sounds good hehe, looking forward to it!
Why not Enschede again? i liked WZZRD's gaming cafe :)
Ronners place would be fine ;)
not Germany because of the +18 rule?
rather cuz germany sux and stinks like fish
Parent
I wonder if there still would be mgc's out there interested in sponsoring a ET team for lan :P
Depends on prices I guess
Parent
of course, its not cuz you sit in a gym daily that there wont be mgc's anymore.
Parent
uhm what.. ET is dead, that's the link here
Parent
you just regret spending half your life on this game, no need to vent your anger in every comment about et being dead.
Parent
you just made my day!
Parent
Finland krp club house

nl/be/ch/de
i don't think that a crossfire lan will be in de cause of 18+ if that wouldn't be a Problem then hessenhalle in alsfeld it's near to Frankfurt would be a good place for that enough space for everyone :)
Parent
then unlucky for etplayers under 18 : D

dont think there is a lot of lans players under 18, maybe around 5 max now??
Parent
i don't know and i don't care cause i'm 20+. i don't give fuck to some players who couldn't go to this Event.
i think lans where everyone is 18+ are a Bit more mature.
Parent
same here : D
Parent
Whats wrong with Enschede?

However I'll keep an eye out
Make the LAN +18 and go for germany(There aren't that many players under 18). And I guess it also depends on the time when you wanna go for the LAN. Any hint when you wanna do it?
Try convicing him by showing him an uber awesome german LAN venue
Parent
I'm not sure if this really counts, but Gamescom in cologne was visited by tons of gaming freaks from all over europe, I dont really see a problem in taking Germany as a Lan place.
Parent
perfo is still 15
Parent
what about stray!!!
Parent
he is still 18 ...
Parent
why +18 :( i'am 16 and i want to play LAN :a
Parent
+18 is fine!
Enschede! 16+ so i could attend to it aswell :D
Enschede?
what's wrong with the wzzrd center? :3 nice to see a LAN possibly being held!
possibly? Comn Artstar let's help out tosspot and get this rolling!
Parent
Fuck UK, would be nice if they find a place in NL, so i can stay with reznh1.
Parent
im in. if not (most likely) not playing then atleast drinking beer as bar (hi twidi) and talking shit.
Enschede, close to my home! :>
And 16+?
Breda and I might show up.
UK PLEASE
Would be awesome to find a venue where bringing own food/drinks is allowed, paying 2e for small bottle of cola was too much if you are there whole day. But it was hilarious to see the reaction of Nonix when they took his chips from him on CC7 tho :D
true that =)
Parent
What happened with Nonix?;D
Parent
well, he opened a sack of potato chips right in front of bar. After few minutes they came to us and took his chips. After that he was like "cmon, you cant do that. Give it back to me, I will go outside". Obviously they did not give it to him and when we were leaving the venue he was asking them if they still have his chips, he wanted them back and eat them in hotel room :D
Parent
Hahaha rofl :DD That sucks for him!
Parent
if you want the venue to have a bar you obviously won't be allowed to bring in your own food/drinks

atleast I thought that the prices were okey, a lot cheaper than in Finland :D
Parent
I dont think the venue itself needs a bar inside as long as there are some restaurants/grocery store in walking distance. I rather walk 3 minutes to get 2L bottle of some water for reasonable price and being good for whole day than having everything in grasp without moving from chair but paying ungodly money for every drink/sandwich.
Parent
Most of the players and especially spectators want to get drinks from the bar during the day so I think that it's essential to have one in the venue. Of course you could go and get your beers from a grocery store aswell, but they'd get warm during the day and wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable to drink. Bar also creates a better atmosphere to the venue. Atleast I don't enjoy playing in those big halls just filled in with tables, chairs and computers compared to playing at a lively place like WZZRD.

CF LANs are events where people mainly go to have fun and meet people while playing some games in the tournament. I've only seen a couple teams that have really taken the tournament seriously by not drinking much, going to sleep early and planning tactics in a hotel room for example. I'd say that for the majority having a bar in the venue definitely is a better solution.
Parent
Well, the bar itself is not an issue to me, neither a rule of not allowing brough food/drinks. But spending 20e a day just not to pass out from dehydration is just wrong in my opinion.
Parent
I don't think that they charged more than 2€ for 0,5l bottle of water, but in any case it would be a great idea to offer water for the players free of charge during the tournament
Parent
that's stupid indeed. But they didnt mind me rolling up a joint in the middle of the LAN centre rofl xD
Parent
well, I guess they were selling joints so it wasnt ruining their business :P
Parent
:D AEF was even gayer tho, they were fucking nazi's when it came to food and drink ugh :S
Parent
make it in Paris imo
Well, why leave WZZRD? it seemed a perfect place.

What about AEF place?

Come to Portugal and u will have cheap food, houses n stuff :D
AEF was just a massive empty room. The computers they used where sponsors or something. You can hire out a room pretty much anywhere in any country!
Parent
well ye, though the same but i wasn't completely sure...
Parent
The actual venue was nice BUT ther wasn't enough people at the event to fill it up!

But I also think that the wzzrd cafe is probably about the right size for an ET lan. Think there was a bit of a dispute last crossfire lan which is maybe why they are not wanting to use that venue again?
Parent
Are you serious? it was packed ...
Parent
In the second room where the stage was. Felt like there was zero atmosphere! (compared to CC events\)
Parent
Enjoy your 8 team esports- lan
CPC1 only had 8 teams and it was a great esports LAN!
Parent
I believe you, too bad Im afraid you wont get the same quality of teams never ever again. Just looking forward to having fun requires zero teams naturally.
Parent
turpakii slarto
Parent
I don't get these people talking about WZZRD cafe, don't you guys think he would've thought about it himself?

I'll keep an eye on it though, good luck

What about Lille Grand Palais?
looks nice tbh :)
Parent
WZZRD's internet blew the night before SAGE and they still haven't fixed it.

Kaos' venue in Weesp has A LOT of convertible space which could easily house what you're looking for. The only thing not possible would be a bar.
"blew the night"?
Parent
He was a lucky guy!
Parent
Who needs a bar if you have a computer.
Parent
bar > computer

a bar outside of the building gives more space inside for the players and visitors.
Parent
Idd.. I won't be avi for LAN coz I'm too low but no one beat me at drinking like High+
Parent
Excuse my for my English don't know the terms. You can hire a portable bar and other things needed for a bar. If TosspoT is willing to take this venue I can probably fix the bar problem.
Parent
A laptopbar?
Parent
Als jij dit nu even voor me vertaalt Goku

Ik werk in de horeca en doe regelmatige catering, een complete bar/personeel laten komen met leuke aankleding is zeker te regelen in Nederland, sterker nog ik heb het eerdere zelf gedaan. Mocht Tosspot deze locatie nemen dan zou ik me wel even hard willen maken voor z'n bar met inrichting voor een leuk prijsje.
Parent
Quote by SimonKinslerI work in catering and do regular catering, a full bar / staff come with nice decoration is sure to settle in the Netherlands, in fact I've done it earlier. If Tosspot this location would take me a bit hard to make his bar with a nice device for price.

You're welcome
Parent
Laatste zin is niet goed me jonge.
Parent
If tosspot would take this location I would do my very best to get this bar up & running for a more than reasonable price.

e: zoiets aan goku vragen is ook ni slim he [nl].
Parent
Ehla, rustig eh gij, alleen de laatste zin was niet goed dus hij kan me al dankbaar zijn :O(
Parent
How much would a temp. bar cost per day? Does the price include staff & stock, too?
Parent
Shouldnt be a problem to organize a bar. If you call a local bigger store, which sells beer and stuff, then you even get the bar for free. You just have to order a large amount of drinks. Should be possible to lets say order 500 l beer and if you only sell 400 then you can give back the 100 l. Its all about organisation... If you ask them also to give you some staff, then they might also be able to do so... depends on the size of the company
Parent
Getting the alcohol isn't the problem. It's the staff & legalities that are the only obstacles.
Parent
Usually you have to pay some kind of tax to sell beer which is really expensive, but if you make this lan to a "private" event where only invited people can enter the room, then you dont have to pay any tax at all. If we got a location, then we should just ask the local university. There are always some guys who wanna earn some money... Shouldnt be the problem.
Parent
It won't cost that much like RazZaH said maybe I can even fix to get them over there for a really low price or even free, profit of the sells are obvious for them. Legal stuff won't be a problem.
Parent
Give us free drinks & I'll get the workers
Parent
pretty sure you can just get a portable kebab truck to stand outside the venue teehehe
Parent
there might be licensing issues with that
Parent
They come with licenses :)
Parent
oh right, didnt know they could do that, i guess the license comes with the guy that will run the bar, didnt know they could do that without a permanent set location, bet theres some money in that :o
Parent
i did like enschede much, its easy for everybody to get there (its in the center for everybody)

well, space for 6o6 could be a small problem but we saw that 6o6 worked out well allrdy!
Milk Cafe - Chatelet Les Halles in Paris got 160 PC with 600 sqm space.
Feel free to check it :)
The place is great.

You could also host it in Lille Grand Palais (France ofc) as Goku said as they're quite used to that kind of event.
J'ai été là-bas pour une des "Ankama Convention" :D tu connais je suppose?
Parent
J'habite à Lille :)
Parent
got a sleeping place for me then mate? D:

e: nvm, u live in Lille x)
Parent
yes i do :D
Parent
aint Lille fucking far away :p
Parent
If it's in Lille i do have a spot to stay. In Paris I also do but in the suburbs so it's kinda far :/
Parent
He needs 100 PC's
Parent
everyone come with his/her own Computer ;)
Parent
i'm Not a nigga :/
Parent
bitch please
Parent
i'm Not a bitch/slut or something like that i'm a "ruhrpottkanacke" or ...... wait no i'm a "westfalenkanacke"

thx
Parent
i Do but i'm still bored and i'm watching n24 there is nothing what i can Do as long as i'm Not at home :/
Parent
online tournament and final at my house for free np...
plz schluchtenscheisser
Parent
dont call him schluchtenscheisser pls

thx
Parent
but he is One....
Parent
said the monockenanatole
Parent
What about where I37 series was held? at Warick, in UK Good venue, great travel links. And additional overnight stay's. Also there is a Premier Inn not to far from the event, not forgetting you have warick trainstation, and great air lines right the way through warickshire. Just a thought, Although it may be a bit to big in sq footage :S
if the venue is that big, he might host a multiple gaming even then?
Parent
These kind of venues in the UK just aren't setup very socially.

The great thing about WZZRD beyond the bar was the fact everyone could get the huts up the road & hotels nearby / walking distance. You'll not get away with that in a Holiday Inn.

Also Holland as a country is a shit load better than the UK.
Parent
steady on...

if i remember correctly they have a camp site near by with a bar etc....
Parent
nl is shit loads better, MADE my day
Parent
ITALY, my home :D
UK please.
ask a university maybe -- one who does ' game design' as a degree
what does 'game design' has to do with a LAN? :p
Parent
well maybe we could ask them to design an ET level especially for the tourney

also it would be relevant to the University,
Parent
best idea yet
Parent
Maybe The Party in Eindhoven? It's next to the trainstation, and you can get there easily with a bus from the airport. Plus its in the centre of the city, so theres alot of bars aswell :)

http://www.the-party.nl/

edit: The Holiday Inn is right across the venue aswell :)
This is a LAN party already organized, tosspot is searching for a venue.
Parent
the phunnies
Parent
My basement.
Outpost gaming centers in Belgium? I've only been to the one in Antwerp and that'd probably be to small eventho they have a nice basement lol
Stoneleigh Park, Coventry.

i Series events have been held there, all be it on a large scale but you could use the smaller "exhibition" hall. There's a bar, restaurant, access to BHX airport 20 mins away, 10mins from Warwick train station/15 from Coventry, hotels nearby, taxi rank, camping areas, paintball/quad biking, dominos pizza delivery, BT run the Internet connection which is very stable in that area.

The great thing about it is that you could easily split the room into 2. Play area and spectator area.

I live 5 mins away so could help with logistics and a guide to the area etc.
Just stick to Enschede, in the centre of UK, DE and NL. Easy access through busses/planes/train and stuff no complaints.

Avi
There is a place called ClanLan here in Inverness, actually one of my mates owns it basically its a big room with lot of pc's where lots of nerds go to play games and chill out, theres a snacks place in it, sells pizza, chicken burger etc for cheap as anything, nextdoor to the ClanLan is several bars, because its in the middle of Town.

Dunno if this would be good for it or not but jsut came to my head, Inverness is really small and no one could get lost here, you could walk through the whole Inverness side to side in a hour. Lots of nice veiws pretty close to Loch Ness, so maybe if you got lucky you could get to see our monster D:
How many pc's ? and how many people would fit in?
Parent
I dont think they have anything close to 100pc's in there prob 20 max but i would say its maybe just a little bit smaller then the WZZRD in Enchede, Judging on being in both places.
Parent
It's blummin miles away even for the Brits! An accessible venue pretty much needs to be within a reasonable train journey from Amsterdam (cheap for most nations to fly there) & on mainlan Europe for the rail / road links. Even the ferry across the channel is pricey.
Parent
alexl basement
Enschede was best.. why change it?
cuz they are scared of fireworks
Parent
Centre George Pompidou inFrance France

its like a museum with some stores ...the connection cant be bad i think...
they must have lots of bars and toilets very clean :)

IT IS HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :D

idk if i described it properly , french guys should do it better since i have never been there, just heard about it today :D
What about the WZZRD centre in Utrecht, NL? It's a lot easier to reach for most people flying in as its most central city thats connected to nearly all train stations in the country. Just a tad worse for the germans, about an hour drive further than Enschede I think?
Was going to suggest this, from what I experienced I'd say they are about equal in space / pc's, there's a bar inside (not even mentioning the fact that you're right in the city centre so plenty of places to go), if I'm not mistaken even a sort of bigger room to fit the spectators / a big screen for shoutcasting in.
Parent
Carlos saved ET !
Parent
if u can smoke outside like enshede it would be better :_)
Parent
You can though! and the coffeeshops are closer nearby as well ;)
Parent
Its still open?
Parent
Last time I checked it was, but that was about...3 months ago?

e: just checked and according to their site, it still exists but apparently they only open up for "special events" and "open on request" since december '09...
Parent
B.O.S.S IDEA! Lekker dichtbij (;
Parent
voor mij ook :D beter dan enschede iig :C
Parent
jij verdient dan wel een biertje maat!
Parent
Holland / Belgium please!
what about that czech lan location green_clon??? or someone was planning to do a lan at?
Expo Ghent (we'll prolly only have people enough for one room though)

e : and there's no bar but i guess SimonKinsler could fix that?