I am a Level Designer for RtCW and I am trying to revive this game!

The game is old. It has dust all over it. Yet, there is still a community of players that continue to play.

How many of those players, during their time they have invested into playing, have thought about making a map of their own for Return to Castle Wolfenstien?

I already know of a handful of guys who wish they, 'had the patience' 'the skill' 'tools to do so'. And now they do.
Please I am encouraging every player who reads this post to just take a look at the Forum I have created.

The RtCW Level Design forum already has Tutorials posted for anyone and everyone to create their first room and play it IN-GAME! Skill level needed? ZERO. NONE.

All it takes is for you to have Return to Castle Wolfenstein installed. The rest is in my tutorials. So if you're interested, please visit the forum and register. Say hello and ask questions. Let's make something new!

http://www.leveldesign.proboards.com
Comments
It is important that I emphasize that we already have members who have absolutely NO knowledge of mapping whatsoever, and they have already created their first small map.

We want to see what other members can make! Show us what you can do!
Nice - always wanted to make a map but never really had the motivation to learn it :P will take a look here if I ever decide to jump in! :)
That would be fantastic Merl! I hope you sign up soon! I have everything you need right in the Forum. We will even be hosting a very fun mapping contest with real prizes! Spread the word, and I can't wait to see you on the boards!
Do you mean RTCW or ET with "This game"?

edit: okay after reading it twice i got it.

GL reviving RTCW, but it has already failed a couple of times with ET. You can bring back some diversity, but reviving a game needs more than good maps. Good luck tho
i kinda doubt the lack of new maps is the reason for inactivity
It would be much better if ET would gain new maps, maybe would bring some old players to give it a try.. but that's ET
Parent
we had so many maps and it didnt really increase the activity. It just made people complain even more that someone put his finger on their "perfect" game
Parent
It made the skilled ones mad because they got raped by less skilled teams that actually pracced the map.
Parent
... No? What you don't even seem to understand is that these "old skilled" players are the ones that want new maps the most and have been wanting new maps the most for years. They're always the first to test them before you ever even hear of a new map being made in first place.

The thing is, some random 5th division team gets bored of not understanding how to play goldrush or supply after all these years, decides they'd do better on a new map, cry for a new map, new map comes along, a bad map most likely, random 5th division team still gets their asses kicked, new map becomes obsolete because it was rushed, pointless and doesn't offer any replay value, random 5th division team quits anyway because they can no longer blame maps.

Your "skilled ones" aren't getting raped on new maps because they don't like new maps, they simply can't be bothered to prac a map that isn't any fun or worth playing. Along come your gizmos, crods and who not that'll play this map exclusively because they figured out it might just give them a edge. And thus, you now suddenly have 3 out of 500 people playing a map for no other reason than for the sake of wanting to win a round once in a while. Most times of which they still end up losing the game, but hey, now at least they can blame the map, right? Right? Because look at how well they did on their hipster map!!

Regardless, new maps will never and would have never promoted activity in this game, not now not 5 years ago. it's a pointless argument to make.
Parent
hello erdenberg :D
Parent
I like erdenberg, and I know quite a lot of "old skilled players" that do too, unfortunately not as a 6on6 map. It's more suited towards 3on3 play and even then, do you genuinely expect people to pick a map they don't have much experience with, over something else in an important game?

It's a nice map, but it's still not as good or even remotely better as any of the alternatives.
Parent
Yeh i do agree on it, tho whenever i play 3on3's its mostly just the casual maps, whilist there're around 2-3 teams that will pick erden on every occasion possible. The map is actually done somehow in a decent way to get some good games out of it, its just the problem that not many ppl are playing it and yeh, if it was a decider at some important match, i dobut many teams would pick it over those casual maps like (adler,frost,ice...)
Parent
same as warbell i enjoyed the map but it was quite "weird" in 6o6 but still i liked it :p
Parent
I understand why ppl like erdenberg - the start reminds a bit of supply even though I find the first attack on its boring as hell just because it's too much a supply like. After 1st stage its ok - even though its a bit of hide and seek against some of these "new talents" :)

Def is a bit broken imo - it SHOULD be a bit more supply like after 1st stage - there should be (imo) a proper CP stage in my opinion. But then again I dont like erdenberg at all maybe because I happen to play it vs those hide and seek leaner camper ppl :( have never played it against decent team
Parent
You are fucking retarded and you should take your shitty goldrush 24/7 and go fuck yourself.

Faggot.
Parent
such thing won't work in ET, inb4 "it's not supply, it's not deli"
Parent
I would love to see more different maps be played. The problem is that the majority of the ET people only want to play a limited amount of maps. It also doesn't help that leagues and cups don't force maps as Karsiah_te2, sos_secret_weapon or reactor_final. So there's no incentive for teams to start playing them.

The only thing that can teams actually play more different maps is when tournements start forcing those maps in their week shedules. But as RazZaH and WuT says, people will start complaining about the fact that it's not supply, delivery & adlernest (3on3) and supply, grush & radar (6on6) each week.
Parent
Nah, i disagree. The only way old people would come back if someone really updated the entire game by at least fixing the netcode and hitboxes and also include a real anticheat. It would have to come in a simple format like every other game now has - one installer, one account, ingame communication etc.

Then there would need to be regular tournaments with 20k+ eur prize pools.

If you really want old competitive scene back, thats what it takes, and thats why it will never happen.
Parent
http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Source

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein:_Enemy_Territory

Just look at the publish dates. Pretty close to each other right? Then looking at graphics / textures.. I know W:ET wasn't made till the end but if they had just only updated those textures in ET I think this game would still be much more lively :P think in that way they would have still made major updates till 2008 - 2009 :P Sad but "true". Could be it wouldn't have any affect but for some reasons I believe there would have been more sponsors and stuff - all in all in ET's gameplay got so much potential. I don't really member was it because of budget or what why they published this game like this..
Parent
did you know:
ET has like 2k maps
?
the thing is:
except for the fun players nobody wants to try out "new" ones, they always wanna play supply or delivery
most people don't even now the smallest part of available maps in ET
Parent
Make mp_communique for ET. Best version of base!
e: seems like someone had a go http://www.wolffiles.de/index.php?news-print-310 :sd

gL with your revival
RtCW does really need a map or two. Could perhaps bring some interest. Tho those ET maps that have been made in the past 6 years are just horrible. One reason I left it there was because those maps were ugly and plain like there was just an obj and thats it.
For years I have been asking for SW_Railgun for ET but nobody has followed up ...
Railgun is shit map, same as Battery and Oasis, brutally unbalanced stages.
Parent
Railgun has a lot of potential except the train part needed to be changed and some of the routing options needed adjustments.
Parent
you've just shown a perfect example of why ETs map pool hasn't changed for years
Parent
There are databases full of maps that are never played and/or tried, there is no lack of maps... Not for ET or RtCW.. Only reason new maps aren't played is because no-one wants to play new maps. There have been plenty of tournaments where a new map was introduced but teams simply didn't pick it. Example, leagues introducing UFO, secret_weapon, Karsiah, sw_oasis, frost_comp and others were called idiots and the teams who picked those maps were 'lowbobs who need random maps'.

This community needs to stop pretending that a revival is possible(especially when it comes to maps) and move on... People have been trying and screaming 'revive this game' for years now and the most that happens is a couple of oldtimers or new players who leave after a month or two because other communities offer more or have more important things in life.
QuoteThis community needs to stop pretending that a revival is possible(especially when it comes to maps) and move on... People have been trying and screaming 'revive this game' for years now and the most that happens is a couple of oldtimers or new players who leave after a month or two because other communities offer more or have more important things in life.

What an incredibly depressing thing to say. Just because you've quit ET doesn't mean it's no longer worth playing and everyone else should simply join you in moving on to LoL or CSGO or whatever.

I don't think anyone here is delusional enough to believe that the game will ever be as active as it used to be, but there is nothing wrong with speculating or saying "what if".
Parent
No-one claimed it was a happy thing to say, doesn't change that it's simply how it is. Also I haven't quit ET, I just don't play as active in leagues or in a set team anymore. I've played ET and RtCW from the moment I got my first PC as it got pre-installed with both of them, and the game itself is great. But games get old, young players(with very few exceptions) prefer modern games with fancy graphics, people get other interests in life and move on.

I'm not saying people are delusional, I'm merely claiming that 'reviving' this game isn't going to happen, and that maps are not the problem nor the solution. The last few years people have tried making maps, most if not all were received as 'this is shit, I'm not playing this'. Exception maybe missile but that one has been booted out again as-well to be replaced by whatever was played before it was released. And those new maps definitely didn't bring back old players or create an attraction for new ones.

Don't get me wrong, I think people like yourself, merlinator, chilax and some others do great work for this community and this game. I've done some admin work and tourney hosting here and there myself I know how much of a pain it can be and/but also how gratifying it is as-well. I think the game on deserves it, but when it comes to 'revival', let's just say I know a lost cause when I see one.
Parent
It's like telling a kid running a lemonade stand that he should quit selling lemonade because he'll never become rich from it. He knows it won't make him rich. He's doing what he's doing because he finds it fun and fulfilling.

Everyone is already aware of the state of ET and doesn't need to be reminded that it's dying or that "better" (in your opinion) games and communities exist. Basically what I'm saying is that your comment is a bit unnecessary. Like, if you gave this sort of prep talk thing to everyone who ever decided to help contribute, then we'd have a lot fewer "new" things to enjoy.

Also, missile is still being played on a regular basis, as well as the latest version of erdenberg.
Parent
Secret_Weapon is old and never used to be good, Oasis is too large and easy to defend, Karsiah lotto factor, Frost also lotto factor. For a map to be good it needs to have several stages and not just 1 document run. That's one of the reasons why Supply is such a good map because it has 4 different stages and it's not gg game over after your whole team gets full spawned.
Parent
"There are databases full of maps that are never played and/or tried, there is no lack of maps... Not for ET or RtCW.. Only reason new maps aren't played is because no-one wants to play new maps."

+1
Parent
It's clear that the RtCW community is still very much diverse in opinion.

But here is my statement:

I know that RtCW is on its last leg and on its way out the door, but I have found another avenue. My goal is simple. It's not to start a revolution, it's to build something new for an old game.

All I'm asking is for all those who want to make maps for their favorite game of all time, to register on the forum and begin their new journey with RtCW. This forum I have created WILL revive the game.

We are creating all new Duel, TDM, Trickjump, Dyno, Checkpoint, and Doc maps that will be totally fresh and creative. All it takes is more mappers. More brains, more creativity to get this ball rolling.

So take a look, see what we're talking about. You will then understand what we're doing
"This forum I have created WILL revive the game."

doubt it bro
Parent
Quote by SuperbooyNah, i disagree. The only way old people would come back if someone really updated the entire game by at least fixing the netcode and hitboxes and also include a real anticheat. It would have to come in a simple format like every other game now has - one installer, one account, ingame communication etc.

Then there would need to be regular tournaments with 20k+ eur prize pools.

If you really want old competitive scene back, thats what it takes, and thats why it will never happen.

Sorry but it takes a lot more than new maps. How are you going to exactly advertise this game so the sponsors would take intress on it and follow it by creating those tournaments and making a league interested about it? I don't see this happening as long as I don't win Euro jackpot 60million €
Parent
It's not about creating new maps, we have plenty of them. It is actually about finding some maps out of the hundreds out there which are suitable for competitive ET. I often hear complains about the same maps being played all over again, but is there actually anybody who has put effort in trying "other unplayed" maps on a larger scale? Guess not.

Besides, ET 's current state is in my opinion the worst it has ever been. But why would you want to play a game without any working anticheat anyway? I cannot blame anybody who has no motivation to return and give it another try, as long as this issue isnt fixed. All whats left today are some random cups you can "enjoy" with people you know and like. And I doubt there is more to follow.
I like you too :SSSS
Parent
Just to make it clear, I'm talking about RtCW, not ET

:D
ITT: people don't know in what forum they're at
just bring old cf back
We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. small business loans
It felt so good to know that I had a great company to call. They help a lot, thank you Kurt