Time for a new matchconfig?

im quite dissapointed to have to use com_maxfps 125, when higher fps is noticiably smoother on a 144hz screen (like 142fps)
this got restricted because of the bug, where you have less turn spread with exactly 250fps and 125hz mouse polling rate. the problem is theres no reason to cap it as low as 125, anything lower than 250fps should do it (so cap it com_maxfps 200)
while we are at it, lets make timelimits better for atleast supply in 3on3. its just ridiculous how often it gets fullheld compared to other maps
also im sure people might have some other good ideas for new settings to fix or just maybe change some things for the better, feel free to list
i dont think any big gameplay changes are really warranted in this stage of the game. more like fixing the small stuff that could be better. its such a mess to try to figure out what people tend to prefer, or which makes the game "better" or more "balanced", what ever those terms even mean..

maybe someone wants to make an updated matchconfig for next seasons of ET!

xx
Comments
remove prone delay! :)
Absolutely not, it's terrible
Parent
+1 Proning is fun.
Parent
first step is to get better admins, then we can start fixing game problems :)
we have rly good admins atm tbh?!
Parent
Walle probably has in mind the number of cheaters playing actively on ettv :o)
Parent
there are no cheaters.. or cgac would ban them
Parent
avi to take over npnp
Parent
Go for it! Dobra kurwo
Parent
recommend some
Parent
lettu for president
Lettu the god, talked about this with nerds for months, give us more fps!! No point of having it capped at 125, keep it 250!

I wouldnt be against changing a few things like landmines number :p
nothing was said about capping fps at 250.
Parent
Maybe current admins & cup arrangers ohurcool, Sebhes, timbo etc. could work something out, since it's obvious alot of people would love to have certain changes on match configs.
Eh fix the horrific hitbox registration, couldnt give a damn about anything else lol.
Can't really "fix" it, only change it and that would mean create a new mod.
Parent
Wow you can actually speak the truth.
Parent
Etlegacy has a fixed hitboxes already.
Parent
Completely agree on all points.
bring back hitsounds from explosions !
and from flamer! oh the joy!
Parent
no need :!!! bind x +stats & XP-flashing is enough
Parent
i know, but it was just 2 sweet to hear it
Parent
dat sweet sound of artillery finding it's mark
Parent
Regarding the XP thing, is that something that can be changed also? (e.g. riflenades on long distance hitting enemy - gives you XP+flashes)

Because I noticed that on some servers it doesn't, thought that thing is automatically enabled :(
Parent
That's because those servers use 3 xp per kill and not 1 XP per 50 damage
Parent
^ douille's comment.
Parent
lettu to safe et
spawntimes, definetly.
This. And remove pronedelay for god sake!
pronedelay omg
Parent
Quotethis got restricted because of the bug, where you have less turn spread with exactly 250fps and 125hz mouse polling rate. the problem is theres no reason to cap it as low as 125, anything lower than 250fps should do it (so cap it com_maxfps 200)

This occurs on any FPS higher than your polling rate, actually.
But do the advantages of less turnspread outweigh the advantages of a higher polling rate? And in this regard, players with a higher sensitivity already have a BIG advantage over low sens users, as turnspread is affected by the speed at which you turn as well.

But yeah, 200 FPS would be ideal (or any multiple of 100, though the engine does break at >500 FPS I think), seeing as the limit for cl_maxpackets is set at 100 (and this is hardcoded, I believe). Right now it's ridiculous that the majority of players use maxfps 125, with cl_maxpackets 100. What happens is that the packets only get sent every other frame, meaning only 63(62.5) packets per second are sent to the server.

At this point, honestly, a completely new mod would actually be the best solution, but this community will never accept anything other than ETPro.
Let's call bani
Parent
Who could and would be willing to create a new etpro?
Parent
I'd say I could, but it'd probably be another project I'd start on, only to realise it's too much for just one man, and abandon after a few weeks. I could code, but I couldn't manage such a project.
Parent
thats interesting, dont have any technical knowlidge about this stuff. went by what was speculated in the past.
i would still be for raising the fps cap, but maybe unlimited in that case. it does seem hopelessly buggy if the sensitivity affects it like that as well. seems like theres not much to be done about it.

theres few guys that might get slight advantage of higher cap, unintentionally or intentionally. i would be completely fine with that, while having a slightly smoother gaming experience
Parent
Basically if you used 125hz polling rate (or anything below that by using PS/2 adapter) you'd get less turn spread than other players if your FPS was any higher than 125. So some people would use 166/200/250 fps and effectively they either diminished their turn spread or completely got rid of turn spread. So before CPC2 at the urging of overdrive and some other people the com_maxfps IN 43 125 command got forced (actually it was already forced at sHgOpen, but that config wasn't great because they also forced the physics to be equal to playing with 166 fps, so you weren't able to jump as far/high).

But then it's more a question whether using 125hz and getting less turnspread (about 32% at 166 fps) outweighs the advantages of playing with a higher polling rate. I do believe, if the cap would be raised, it should be raised to 200, for maxpackets reasons.
Parent
Honestly, upping your sensitivity already gives you an advantage on turnspread, the whole thing is implemented quite poorly.

I can elaborate on the turnspread/polling rate/framerate thing.

Each frame it checks whether the player is turning, if so, it adds a certain amount to spread.
When the framerate is higher than the polling rate, it won't register the player turning for a few frames (as you said, 32% of the frames in the case of 125hz PL and 166 FPS), and thus, actually REDUCE the current spread.

You might know this, I'm just putting it out there for others to read.
Parent
wiesiek had his setup/config mastered lol
Parent
I've once said this, and as one already pointed out. This community won't except another mod.

Silent mod has the capabilities to mimic the etpro hitboxes, fixes quite alot what already in this topic has been mentioned.

2 negetive points:
1) Minority here doesn't want to switch mods. I once had an über discussion with orhurcool and believe me this won't happen.
2) Source code is public, and not encrypted.
Parent
What do you mean with point 2?

EDIT:

I have played ET Silent for a bit, I quite like it!
Parent
I mean: hooks for etbot are a bit harder.
Coders have to work with the stuff they have: in this case => et source code.
Learning how that is build, they can build hooks.

Problem with etpro is, the source code is encrypted, meaning you can't read it normally.
=> most hooks can be detected, like silent mod already does more or less. But problem for that is:
Silent doesn't have any encrypting, well more or less.
So basically designing a cheat, or updating a cheat like etbot isn't that hard... @silent mod

Btw forgot: Silent has a build-in anti cheat with silent detection. And they update it regulary.

oh and btw: mods are just a bunch of hooks together, with some models over it. Et voila, you got yourself a mod.
Parent
Quoteoh and btw: mods are just a bunch of hooks together, with some models over it. Et voila, you got yourself a mod.

Nope, it's not the same.
Parent
If you look to it, it is.
Take Jaymod for example... they have some extras, I reckon that.
But basically it's just hooks, hooks and some custom code.
Parent
I'm not sure what you mean with hooks, I am quite sure you're misusing the word.
What part of Jaymod would be a hook?
Parent
silent hitboxes are even more fucked up than etpro's lold.
Parent
You know nothing...
You can MANAGE the hitboxes.
Parent
I believe physics start breaking in the 300s, most especially 333.
Parent
why did they even invent prone delay?
Quotewhy did they even invent prone

fixed
Parent
Guess you have problems with moving opponents aswell:D
Parent
because it fucks everything up hitboxwise
Parent
The thing you call hitbox is fcked up anyway :D
Parent
Still, they fuck up most with proning
Parent
I think it is not difficult to hit the head of a proning opponent... and proning is effective even with delay, you just have to play it differently... for example i loved to use prone nearby allied cp (supply) and irritate enemy team when they wanted to do a quick rush trough double doors?wooden gate ... whatever was its name

e: but who cares, lettu's idea is good. but without some kind of leader faces on top of the community nothing will happen. need some candidates for this and people should be able to decide who are acceptable. timbo and sebhes are good cup admins and they have to be involved, but tbh i would personally prefer to see someone more oldschool above them aswell: D
Parent
Because around that time, some teams were constantly proning. I never had much problem with it myself, just prone back :)
Parent
142 fps. Yes please.
so run a ODC with the following changes (or proposed changes)?
setl b_extendedprone 1 */maybe set to 0 as well, may bring back some epic/annoying rifle prone though/*
setl b_pronedelay 0

command "sv_cvar cl_maxpackets IN 63 100"
command "sv_cvar com_maxfps IN 40 200"

re: lettu's spawn time changes (global map script changes), +1 to all allied spawn times or only 21/30 for 20/30 maps? (some maps like frostbite are 30/30). Might also be worth testing out in a ODC.
Packets should stay forced, enable snaps changes so I can get the 98ping!
Parent
thought packets was part of the issue (fps+maxpacket hit rego issue)? understand there also packet toggle exploits >_> but they can be limited by floodkick protection (e.g. all those kids that used to toggle maxpackets while spamming crouch or shooting).
Parent
Something similar may happen with higher fps enabled
Parent
this is what I am talking about, fairly sure it will work for either maxpacket or fps toggle abuse...

setl b_floodKickRate 10
setl b_floodKickBurst 15
setl b_floodKickTime 0
Parent
Allow timenudge -100!!!!!!!!
What does that command do? :D
Parent
I don't know but I remember some pub server had no restriction on it and I could easily hit 60% acc with a shit aim :D. A lot of Quake players also get mad at you if you change timenudge :D.
Parent
maxpackets and snaps also change this quite a lot, i remember the old eG server (klobby's) when they didn't have it capped :D
Parent
Maxpackets was always capped at 100

timenudge tries to 'predict' the position of the opponent, to counter lag.
For example, an opponent might be strafing to the right in a straight line, the code will 'project' him forward in time a bit, based on previous data (like those extrapolation math problems from school textbooks, if a train left at 19:00, and arrived at the next station 20km away at 19:10, how far will he have traveled at 19:30?).

This does not always work out right though, the prediction may be off (e.g. the opponent suddenly changed strafing directions). This makes that the opponent will look like he's stuttering a bit. To use the same train metaphore, maybe the train reached his final destination at 19:20, and has since turned around to go back.

A major issue with this is, if you set timenudge too high, it will predict the enemy ahead too far, and you can 'hit behind the enemy', which is basically cheating because you're correcting for poor aim.
Parent
Not really. I've played with maxpackets 30 around 2003-2004, in competition. Same for snaps.. With lower maxpackets my ping was much lower.
Parent
I'm sorry, I meant that the upper limit (see Dictionary entry 6) has always been 100 in ET.
Parent
metsuri&69maxpackets
Maybe start by getting the source code of etpro from bani? I don't think he'd be stubborn to give the source after all this years, it's not like he's ever gonna code 1 line for ET again, ever. I'll see if I have a copy left somewhere on my hard drive and upload it somewhere (it's not the full code though, no anticheat, no menus(easily copied from pk3's), no proper antilag(I guess it's an old fork).
This is not gonna happen. It's not like they're too stubborn to release it, they legally CAN'T release it as is.
Parent
Elaborate on that matter, please. It seems I've missed out on something?
Parent
ETPro contains third party software, meaning they do not own all of it, and thus, they cannot release the source code unless they make a LOT of changes (delete a lot of stuff).
Parent
As far as I know it contains huge chunks of code from osp source(Orange Smoothie Productions, the rtcw mod), shrubmod and few closed source libraries, it doesn't mean they can't release the source it means they don't want to, bani was never willing and probably never will assuming he is still in that old mindset of his, he's a stubborn one after all, he could release an incomplete source with 3rd party software left out, I don't think osp minds anything at all seeing it's unlicensed, therefore nobody owns it . You'd rather have something than nothing at all, I had this incomplete fork, don't know where it is anymore, probably long gone after swapping so many Windows installs.
Parent
Not just OSP and shrubmod, the anti-cheat code is third party as well. I actually asked the ETPro guys today. Cleaning up the source (removing the third party bits) would be a really tedious job, and nobody is willing to do the dirty work. Even then, without the third party parts, it would not be ETPro as we know it.

Also, I don't think OSP is, or ever was open source, and yes, that DOES mean they can't release the source.
Parent
Facts:
  • OSP is Copyleft (refer here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft)
  • Shrubmod on the other hand has a different self-imposed license, that allows redistribution of any file of shrub as long as the original copyright notice is attached to it. The same should apply if source code is used.
  • ETPro anticheat is old and outdated not needed in this source anyway, should be replaced if you want any improvement.
  • At the time of ETPro's final release(3.2.6, 3.2.7 had private alpha builds but never went public), ET was not open source licensed, till 2010, which changes alot how the license now works, alot of the code in ETPro was undisclosed code provided by the ET team of splashdamage(right?), as this old license is no longer legally passable, the now opensource license overwrites them all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I might have missed out since I haven't been following ET for a few years.
Parent
You are right, OSP is copyleft, my bad.

Yes, ETPro anti-cheat is old and outdated, bit removing it is a lot of work for the ETPro team, they are all working on other projects. Honestly, after 9 years, that isn't unreasonable..
Parent
etpro 4 hehehehe
Parent
So what if I have a 240hz eizo?

It's a great idea btw, totally agree.
19/31 for more action
Max 10 lives per round :) much more fun, less selfkills, more teamplay needed with ammopacks / medics :)))
sounds like fun :D but 10 would be too few for maps like supply/goldrush i think.
Parent
Think its perfect, if someone maxlives is out that is just bad for the team. So 5on6 rest of the round :D!

I like this idea alot tbh, might even reduce a little spam in 6o6. More ammo supplys instead of airstrikes.
Parent