Crossfire ET Guide

One of the key objectives for Crossfire 4 is to make it a more welcoming place to new players. You may say this is too little too late, but you'd be surprised how well the words ET Download and their variations do on Google.

We intend to launch a complete guide for someone downloading the game, from install, the classes, public mods, clans, tournaments, ETTV & Shoutcast, trickjumping, configs etc. The goal is to back up that process with some public servers from noob up to pro, in addition to supporting TZAC.

The initial ET guide (which FYI probably will launch after CF4), will need to be brilliant and detailed. It is far too large a task for just one person to write so I am hoping that the Crossfire admins that are involved could rely on some support from willing writers within the community. You'd be required to write one complete section, for example you'd be assigned the 'Field Op' section or something of that nature.

If you're willing and able to lend your time over the Christmas period this would be most appriciated and you'd be doing ET a huge favour. If for example we are able to convert just 600 of the people downloading ET (of which there are tens of thousands on a monthly basis) that would be 100 new clans and a completely new breath of life into the competitive scene.

Please reply below with your interest and suggested area, we'll use google docs for collaberative working so please make sure you've a google account.
Comments
The idea is to make it for new and advanced players, but let's start with the new ones.

CF4 will have a dedicated page for ET downloads, and one section will be to *learn* ET.
New players will be redirected to this page, and the ET guide is meant to help them to start playing and not getting completely owned.

This idea comes from a long-time favourite website of mine: http://www.enemy-territory.net/

We can reuse a LOT from this website. Also, the ET wiki can come in handy: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Wolfenstein:_Enemy_Territory
Can write something about the "sniper section" (not cvops, just sniper). Don't know what I'm venturing in, but I'm ready to take the try!
best sniper :D
Parent
Because you don't know the possibilities of this class? I could write shitload of text explaining how to play the sniper class properly, how to take advantage of the settings, etc.
Many etpro players (even good ones) can only crouch, go left-right and shoot, which makes them very easy to kill. It would be beneficial to both eventual newcomers and actual players
Parent
No, just no. In competetive play a sniper just isn't efficient enough to replace an smg. After all we hope for new people to enter ET's competetive scene.
Parent
new players surly will play public first, so it could be intedezting though
Parent
could write a section about MG in general, how to use it in competitive gaming and how to implement it in your tactics (although if this will be just for the beginners I guess that the tactical part won't fit in there)
We'll also do the "pro" side of things, just not the priority right now. But if you feel like contributing, then surely you're welcome to write whatever you like :)
Parent
Well yeah.. I've already written tutorials called "Introduction to Enemy Territory" and one about ETTV aimed for new players @ cadred.org while I was playing for Insignia Cadre. They don't really offer much for your project though as they are pretty simple and you're aiming for very detailed guides.

I'm not that interested in writing about the basics of ET for the new players (again) as I think that anyone who has good knowledge of the game and writes decent english can do it. However I could definitely write about some sections of competitive gaming when you're starting up with the guides for more advanced players.
Parent
You're more than welcome to do so :)
Parent
Thx for the reply :F
Parent
Ignored hard 8D
Parent
Willing to do something. No support. Win :D
Parent
Welcome to Crossfire :~D
Parent
the esential tactix

like :if ur teammate is low hp kill him and revive him instead of medpacks
if u are with an engi , let him first so u can revive him
something about movement: like when u jump move ur mouse so u can jump longer(need to be explained better than i did)
how to time a nade for spawnkilling ,
etc :D
I think it can be better to explain some with video ( eg raziel's video tutorial )

nothing close to the "rain of brain by eujenlol"

Can make some video if needed.
trickjumping , wait what?
the basics of strafing i would say
Parent
i'd assume the idea is to explain everything that ET has to possibly offer which trickjumping is obviously included in, if you're going to teach them about other things to do at publics like jaymod/nq then there's no reason not to, especially considering the way it can be combined with the fragging aspect of the game and could be argued as a necessity in ET's playstyle
Parent
good idea :)
There is hope :)
minimizer needed (windows xp + 7) + "pro config" pages

+ et download button
very nice idea !
Good luck with that. I'm sure there is enough content online... isn't there a official et manual? Plus there is some wikis around n stuff.

Suggestions to keep it simple or userfriend you could setup some wiki or wikia to help with that!

GL
afaik PolandLockheed is preparing sth similar. But gl with that ;)
Stray could write something about how to end up playing with people better than you.
hehehhehehe love u straym8 <3 xx
You could teach people the art of raging on comms about not being able to pick up weapons :))))))))))))))))))))
Parent
Oh youuuuuuuu!!!!
Parent
Goku could write something about how he feels beeing discriminated because he is black
I don't feel discriminated :S
Parent
Hahahahaha xD Mon pauvre! :D
Parent
u black bro?

hahaaha

image: Shiit%20Nigga
Parent
lol dat nose, Micheline Jackson?
Parent
Check latest journal, me no black :C
Parent
No u are shit collour
Parent
so he can write the fieldop section :P
Parent
but only for allies, duh
Parent
Really nice idea! I could help out if needed :)
Again great effort hope this guide will work out!
Urtiers fops guide !
needs spread tutorial + thorough spawntime tutorial
nice idea :P 10.000 hits on google every month with ET + download :) maybe they just wanna watch the movie :)
Should also be translated in many languages!
i wanted to create some videos with commentary to show the game's basics, how to change settings of the cfg etc, but i cant be arsed at the moment :/

lure me with some cookies and i will do it
Does it work with donuts?
Parent
donuts will do
Parent
when are you arsed to release a movie? =]
Parent
I could write about most used trickjumps in competition (supply east, radar west jump etc..). And explain them with ss.

I could also put some beginner manual in for those who want to learn to trickjump but I don't think it's useful to learn it from paper. It should be learned ingame.
I don't think an in depth analysis like that would provide much useful information. People who will see/read this have probaply never played ET before. They wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about if you'd show this.
Parent
What's your idea then? You want to teach them how to trickjump but they can't be interested in trickjumping? Dno if I get your point :P
Parent
I mean as an introduction to trickjump. Show them what trickjumping is ( video). Provide the movement necessary for strafejumping and show several useful jumps they could try out themselves. What I meant was that I don't think it's necessary to point out the extra speed by the use of diagrams and speedometers. You'd also have to try and sell it to the one reading and if you approach it too technical, people won't bother reading it.
Parent
if you do a clip, you must add a little keyboard then we can see the keys you are pressing and at wat time!
Parent
try tj in general too, strafe+and circle and rather do gifs instead of ss :)
Parent
Yeah that could be added. Don't know how to make .gifs though.
Parent
simplest thing would be to record with fraps, encode it and afterwards transform the avi into a gif imo (framerates wouldn't need to be superb, dunno, maybe 25) but you better ask guys like ag0n about it, really am a complete dumb fuck when it comes to actually creating avis :P
Parent
Yeah I'll check it out if I will make this section.
Parent
Using Grenades Effectively by United States of America ohurcool, with insight from Canada shaun
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

as long as it's not landmines i suppose
Parent
Step one: make sure your grenades leave your hand.
Parent
I'd have some spare time to write a few things I suppose, if you want to set me a topic to discuss then go for it, if not then I shall pick something myself if or when I find the time.
do you really think that someone who starts ET from the beginning can mess with someone like for example me who is just medskilled, but has 7 years ET experience ? I mean it wont have any effect on the competitive scene tbh

but i welcome your idea to make it easier for beginners to join ET. My point was just related to the competitive scene.
well actually it would have an impact, just like in the beginning. you'd not be overly overpowered, but most likely far better, something they want to achieve. which makes them eager to advance thus bringing in "ahhh fresh meat" :)

(not that i share the optimism, but it COULD work, at least in theory)
Parent
give him/her 1-2 years to play and its definitely possible
with some real awesome tutorials and other resources to improve

edit: and not just mess but to be a better player
Parent
Maybe not you, but there are plenty of med skilled players that literally don't have a clue how to play ET anyway.

Pretty much okay aim is enough to be med skilled.
Parent
random rifle guide, so ET will have more players standing in spawn and annoying the shit out of everyone that bothered joining the server
LOL
OK
BRO
NICE
NOW
HOW BOUT
A CUP
OF STFU
Parent
you're lucky im in a good mood today
Parent
Hope CF4 will not be too late...It would also be great if CF4 would specify that this is an ET Community because I can see a lot of profiles which are never used (specifically my country) probably because they thought crossfire.nu is the crossfire game. It isn't much, but it would be better.
protutorials would be pretty much pointless

not that they wouldnt be of help to people, but they will never be accurate enough either to be worth publishing imo (game changing constantly, and the millions of things that need to be considered)
I think the pretutorials of VIP clan in japan helped get japanese newbies into ET a lot :)
Parent
gj, to bad you come with this 2 years to late.
you could still learn a lot from this tutorial frauwe!
Parent
like i still care about this game
Parent
Komaan, niet zo negatief he man.
Parent
is gewoonde waarheid:)
hoe is het ginder in ierland?
Parent
nat & duur, maar voor de rest valt het wel goed mee.
Parent
good idea :)
List all the things which you dont really find on the internet!
Like explaining every cmd/cvar you can write in your cfg... some are explained, some not.
As newbie i would ask myself: Do i need this cmd? What does it? etc

Explain how spread works and in which ways (turnspread, jumpspread, spread on ladders and stairs)

How to throw grenades faster as normal.

Show that it is important to stand in the right angles in front of your enemy, that it gives you an advantage.

Tell how the connection works and why you can land a hit while you aiming behind the player model you can actually see.

how to abort a panzerfaust shot.

a tiny cross is easier to use then a dot.

/timescale while connecting (what is it, does it really work)

using push in fight

using pistol b4 out of ammo/overheating

you can turn your body while constructing to watch your back

using fops and covops more/better in general

mouse configurations!!! (what are mAus, azatej, butchji, phyzic, nuggan etc requirements to get such a good aim basically [maybe interviews])

rifle tutorial

how the console works!! extremely important for newbs!

etcetc...
How to throw grenades faster as normal?
Parent
thats the question! to me it seems that some players (mostly the pros) can switch quicker to smg after throwing... or is this a placebo?
Parent
that's placebo m8 :)
Parent
k. i hope! ;D
Parent
no mate :) it isnt the placebo effect... when you win EC or OC prem, the creaters of ET send every player of the winning teams a new patch: this patch gives them among other things a 1 second faster switching method between throwing the so called nade & the primary weapon ^^

you mast win OC or EC first :)

(only oc prem winners... not lower divisions)

ps. could be that they stopped giving it to teams that won oc prem at the end of 2009... they told us smth about it, that it wasnt fair that EC winnng teams & OC prem winning teams got the same prize..
Parent
xDDDD kk
maybe i am thinking faster than the switching :PPPP
Parent
im selling my patch if u're interested :)
Parent
zoekte gij ambras mn vriend ? ?
Parent
Nooit, 'k heb schrik van die turke
Parent
nadebug makes it look like the nades goes faster, its just that the throw animation is missing and gives you an extra edge since theres less of a warning when throwing the nade.
Parent
I hate when someone "fakes" throwing nade :S
Parent
Quote/timescale while connecting (what is it, does it really work)

Settings timescale to 100 makes your game connect to server faster than normally. Just connect to full server with timescale 1 and open console, then set timescale to 100 and open console and you see how much faster your game is trying to retry connects on server. ( Everytime 'Server is full' line pops up you are retrying connect on server. )
Parent
yes this is what the console says and what i think how it works too

on the other side, you can put a number like 1000. answers the server on all these requests?
Parent
100 max otherwise it says server connection timed out or something like that
Parent
i have done 199 for years
Parent
202 here ;D
Parent
back in the days everyone used 200, and it worked just fine.
Parent
a tiny cross is easier to use then a dot.

?? :D
Parent
personal opinion ;)
Parent
Quotea tiny cross is easier to use then a dot.

:D
Parent
see reply to wooddd ;)
Parent
I don't mind doing something.

Possibly indepth piece on a certain class, or talking through certain maps (e.g. supply) and explaining what the allies and axis have to do. (I could do this like a video tutorial, which I prefer, rather than writing it all)

If that's something you want to introduce into the beginner pack?
gtfo you aint doin nuttin
Parent
I've got a lot of spare time on my hands and could definitely help contributing to the tutorial in a whole. Suppose the specific classes in-depth are already taken/reserved and with that I don't really see much left on a "player" -base that needs covering other than perhaps the config customization and general idea that is ET and how matches are played, public and competitively. Though, with the old UK rtcw forums dead, I can see there to be a need on guides for the proper server/administrative side (Should probably try and get arni on that). Either way, if something comes up and there's no one willing, I'm definitely available.
Howto revive?
- play rtcw

Howto gib?
- play rtcw

Howto control spread?
- play rtcw

After a couple of matches of those you'll be amazed with the progress.
This + some extra links for all the stuff people have to download to play competitive ET.
Parent
I could write about modding.
I could write something about belgian fraternity...
How to troll on crossfire. Who can we get to write that?....
BOOM, G5 PLAYA!
Parent
He's about as useful as a chocolate teapot... Oh, wait a sec....
Parent
two insults in one, perfect.
Parent
I aim to please.
Parent
I am available to this project to make some tutorials about classes, sniping, configs, I pretty much can give some info about anything. Can do both beginner and advanced tutorials. Just ask from me by PMming here, /Q HIRVII or xfire haxasd
MarseilleColonel LeFrancis wants to be a part of this awesome project.

If you plan to make some translations english<->french let me know it.
I also can help you with those subjects :

- How to create a successful clan (registration on ladders, practices, irc channel and blablabla)
- How to enjoy GTV "fully" (how to synchronize a shoutcast with ettv, how to open it, how to request a gtv coverage,...)
- I could also get some audio interviews of "known" players as I did in the past to teach some stuffs to newcomers.

I'm kinda open minded concerning ET, feel free to /q Francis (FRANCIS offline) @quakenet or pmme on cf http://www.crossfire.nu/?x=message&mode=compose&to=21201 (i have gmail if needed)
2 late in my opinion. Dno why all this didnt get done sooner.
better late than never.
Parent
not really the game could have been saved a long time ago
Parent
...what?!...
Parent
back in the day you learned things yourself and not just read it from somewhere :D
Parent
Dno why u did nothing at all.
Parent
No1 asked bro !

ET will come back if etpro gets better in my opinion.
Parent
Quotein addition to supporting TZAC.

The question is, will TZAC still be there...
http://www.gamingpalace.de/index.php/enemy-territoryy/das-spiel/waffenanalyse.html

this could come in handy if a german wants to translate. its a weapon analasys.
I am glad something is being done... but don't forget, these 'players' who will download ET and view the tutorial will be noobs, with no experience in class based gameplay, or even FPS.

Skill comes with experience, not a tutorial.

CF4.0

Web server browser
Built in chat/warfinder (maybe ETgather IRC box? on all pages)
Invite friends with maybe a Facebook account link with ability to post to their profile (hello coders).
Get some posters on the go in your local area, someone make a nice poster with information on it, people print it off and stick it in random areas like toilets, shopping centres etc...
I think it's a really good idea to make an official ET GUIDE, it could also be aimed at all skills of ETPLAYERS, because it's obviously going to be worth a read for anyone because you might pick up something you don't know about the game already.

Especially for beginners! Ive been trying to get a load of new player to download et and start gaming (ask Owzo) however none of them actually stay playing just because they are getting Owned too much and there are no more low skilled scrims around anymore.

It's really hard to get new et players to stay! What servers would you advise them to start on?
(HBC) tbh for beginners.
Parent
HBC, the server where admins whine when you go into forward bunker on radar to reclaim the objective since its 'spawnkill'? The server with mortar? Wolffog which on most maps only eats fps and doesnt add visuals or anything else? No FPS cap, allowing to bugabuse etc. Dude, play nexus. It got the best settings of all the big pubs out there, though its not playable once there are more then 40 players online.
Parent
wrote this for the noobs on nexus, might be one or two little gimmicks in it that some people didnt knew already

http://pastebin.com/DCnCCzE4
Now I get it why they idolize you lol.
Parent
Its funny when noobs on nexus suddenly started nadebugging and stealing my ammo at x:59 =D
Parent
kankerhoer stop gibbing me on nexus
Parent
cookie had sand in her vagina again today
Parent
This is great :], thanks alot didn't know all of it yet :D
Parent
its a first version, lost the final edit, hence shitloads of typos etc
Parent
thats awesome, do you think if those are worth of trying at nexus or have they already figured those things out? not lookin to get owned too much while training
Parent
Some of us dont play competetive anymore and just want to frag on a 50 man server. Dont worry, I rarely see anybody outfragging muditza, but you are welcome to try pro walle! Just dont cry like most people do when you cant handle the spam and the noobs blocking / bleeding. ps: try doing objective, thats why we dont play on faggot servers like bio.
Parent
Could you unban me sometime from neXus? Used to play there from time to time, because they are indeed doing objective which is way more fun. But some admin (think hobo or something, forgot his name) permabanned me because he thought I was cheating. Some public players think anything above 45 acc is a hack :D
Parent
I recommend you go their site, sign up and post about it + linking to your crossfire account and past achievements. Just dont bother trying to get unbanned if you ever were busted with cheats, the server has a 0 tolerance towards cheating, even if it was 5 years ago. (in case you are super, dunno which bfag you are :)

http://www.nexus-et.com/
Parent
mmmz, I'm crook. Never been busted :)
I'll try that, thanks!
Parent
#|x|multigaming but im sure spud (aka toxicdave aka the guy you want to speak to) would no doubt prefer to talk through the site. He isnt online that much on IRC, I think hes bussy atm since I havent seen him much as of late.
Parent
nice!

but i already knew 99% of that :( still very helpful!
Parent
its aimed at pub players
Parent
thanks!
learned many things from this, and its not totally gimmicy stuff either :P
Parent
We should also make a page with all the errors. For example what to do if you get kicked for openGL etc.
Could use a section that explains things like:
  • voting the timelimit: callvote timelimit 2.5 = 2min30sec, I almost never see anyone vote timelimits correctly. (useful when playing a match and server crashes or something similar that resets the timelimit)
  • Got kicked because you don't have required files and you have cl_allowdownload 0? cl_allowdonload 1;reconnect isn't enough, you need to do cl_allowdownload 1;vid_restart;reconnect, otherwise you will be kicked for corrupt .pk3 files. I see this so often, people try to connect with cl_allowdownload 0 in their config, change it and reconnect, complain how "your server is shit" when they can't connect.
  • Random stuff like, how ctrl+consolebutton opens a tiny console and alt+console opens a fullscreen console

CVAR list like this one by antman but even more thorough and with more screenshots / videos explaining what they do.
lol thx for the time voting :D
Parent
np man, happy to spread the love :P
Parent
Random tip that ive tested: if you half-build something, like the tank, but dont finish it, the build state stays for 30 seconds. if you give it a small tap in that time (build like a millimeter of the bar), it stays for another 30 seconds. repeatable until its built.
u telling secretz
Parent
Sounds decent!
Add in a tag/nick creator. I used to have so much fun designing tags! :D
maybe something about designing your own cfg?
With maybe some implemented cfg's already (ie: your own, Xylos', a starter one,...)
maybe something about MovieMaking.... Let Kamz write a section. I really thinks his movies are a good representation of the game
i don't think so man , Kamz is gay , close
Parent
How I see this topic only now? :/

Anyway, I would like to help.

P.S. I'v done ET Tutorial Pack (http://www.crossfire.nu/?x=news&mode=item&id=6200) but imo the result isn't that good. I mean, my english isn't perfect(+ didn't planned anything what to talk, just mic on and talk), config maybe too dark(should be neutral at videos), and little bit too rushed after all. But there are some nice ideas what to include to this new tutorial pack.
Also, I'v made this: http://fearless-assassins.com/forum/topic/23840-wet-aiming-tutorial-for-wet-by-bosshk/
Mayne we can use it as it is, or change/add something.
can be one of this point to translate guides in other famous like french, dutch, italian languages ?